I've been getting interest in my Scalextric lap timer software recently, which reminded me about this project that I did a couple of years or so ago.
My friend had a few broken Scalextric cars lying around (not to mention a lot of non-broken ones) and I had a spare 12v electric motor from a HoneyBee King 2 remote control helicopter.
You can imagine the direction in which my thoughts began to wander ...
It was more than a little fiddly to get the huge motor securely fixed to the chassis, the motor shaft nicely lined up with the drive gear on the rear wheels and the body shell back in place. The results are shown below.
Sadly, the car never actually worked. It drew too much current and the short circuit protection on the Scalextric power supply kept cutting the juice. I did have plans to sort out some kind of booster / override for the power supply but annoyingly my friend decided that it would be interesting to take a blow torch to the car and photograph the flames melting the plastic.
In fairness, it was my fault for not making it clear how much work it had taken and the potential for one day solving the power supply problem.