11 ways open source software can save you money !
1. It almost goes without saying, but open source software (OSS) is free.
2. A vast array of high quality open source applications already exist to solve almost every conceivable business problem.
3. OSS is developed from a more efficient programming paradigm which means more applications can be hosted on a given server.
4. It is incredibly cheap to implement. £30 per year will buy a web hosting package from eukhost.com capable of running a content managed website, a CRM system, a customer support forum and a mailing list manager with 24/7 high quality server-level technical support. This kind of cheap web hosting package is conceivably the 10th wonder of the world.
5. If you do need to "scale out" there are no huge licensing costs. You just need more cheap hardware.
6. A multitude of free pre-written extensions mean that many applications can be enhanced and customised with a few clicks
7. The lack of up front costs mean that OSS applications can be up and running in weeks rather than months or even years. Your organisation becomes more agile.
8. OSS is easy to install can be installed by any non-technical person. The biggest barrier to installation is not believing that it could be this easy.
9. You are able to implement systems that would otherwise be outside your budget. This makes you or your organisation more efficient and gives you competitive advantage.
10. Any computer literate person can quickly install and implement a number of open source systems using a Linux web hosting account costing £30 per year. All without the need for special training or highly paid consultants. Seriously.
11. OSS server software is mature, robust and reliable. On going software maintenance costs can be zero or very low cost.
Open source software is not necessarily the best commercial decision in every circumstance but when you need to get something done quickly and on a low budget then it has clear advantages.